Dear Amgen Scholars and alumni,
2015 U.S. and Japan Scholars, we hope that you were as moved as we were by thought-provoking talks, the rousing roundtables, and powerful networking that occured at recent symposia at the University of California, Los Angeles and the University of Tokyo.
Europe, your chance is coming soon! The European symposium will be held September 7-8 at Clare College in Cambridge. Just like your U.S. and Japan colleagues, you will hear ﬁrsthand from leading industry and academic scientists, tell others about your research, learn about graduate school and science careers, and boost your knowledge about drug discovery and development.
The Amgen Foundation has been live-tweeting all the symposia, so if you haven’t already, join Twitter and follow @AmgenFoundation to catch up on tweets. Or join the conversation on Twitter or Instagram using #AmgenScholars as a tag.
Former Scholars, we have potential volunteer opportunities:
- The first is for people in Cambridge, U.K. If you’d like to lead a roundtable or meet scholars at the upcoming symposium, please email Karl Wilson at Karl.Wilson@admin.cam.ac.uk.
- A second volunteer opportunity is with the Amgen Biotech Experience, an initiative that introduces high school students to science research through a 3-week-long interactive lab practical. Check out our feature on the ABE, which explains how you might get involved.
Best wishes for the remainder of the summer and the start of the new academic year!
Director, Global Program Office
European Coordinating Centre
Action reminders and events
Europe symposium September 7-8, at the University of Cambridge
- View photos from previous years here.
- Alumni, to participate in the upcoming symposium programme, email Karl at Karl.Wilson@admin.cam.ac.uk.
Fall 2015 Alumni Travel Award Cycle
- Download the application and recommender form.
- All applications should be submitted by September 16, 2015.
- Awards will be announced in mid-October.
New Home Page Content
Class of 2015, By the Numbers
The program continues to grow in its prestige and reach. Look at the breakdown of this year’s cohort. [Read more]
Ask the Expert:
Making Your Papers and Posters Shine
Communicating your first results doesn’t have to be a grueling process. Follow these tips to polish your posters and papers. [Read more]
Inspire the Next Generation of Scientists
Here’s a cause that’s worthy of your attention and tailored for your skillset: STEM education. Volunteer with the Amgen Biotech Experience. [Read more]
Become a Khan Academy advisor
Khan Academy needs your biology expertise! The Amgen Foundation has recently provided a one-year grant for Khan’s biology efforts. Over the next year, Khan Academy will produce engaging and rigorous videos, articles, and practice questions covering the main topic areas of advanced high school and introductory college biology. Amgen Scholars can volunteer as Biology Advisors and help develop the new materials. [Read the article] and [Download a sample task]